Welcome back and Happy Early Thanksgiving, everyone! We can’t believe that yet another year has passed us by, and we wanted to ensure that we share our annual reminder with you to show the value of being actively grateful and a variety of ways to show it. Keep reading to find out how to show your loved ones that you care this week and throughout the entire holiday season!
- Remind Someone That You Care! There’s no greater way to express gratitude than by telling someone, in person, that you appreciate all that they do for you. In the midst of the digital age, it’s easy to thank people through emails, text, or even phone calls, but one of our most valued ways to express gratitude is in person.
- Suprise a Coworker with Coffee: It is far too often that we forget the importance of those that surround us each day. And where do we spend most of our time? That’s right! Work. Make a coworker’s day by simply surprising them with a cup of coffee, grabbing an extra breakfast treat, bringing in donuts for the team, or otherwise providing a ‘surprise and delight when no one is expecting it.
- Instead of Spring Clean… Fall Clean and Donate: As Midwesterners, we know the severity that comes with the coldest holiday months. Take a day to clean through your closet, and donate anything you haven’t worn in the past year! It’s so easy to overlook our surplus of clothing in our closet, and especially the items tucked away in corners that are left forgotten. This week, we encourage you to evaluate what you really need, and what you’re hanging onto that may no longer be providing value. Whether this means collecting no longer worn clothing and donating to a local charity or even handing out a jacket to someone you pass by in need, your impact could change and even save a life.
- Pay for the Person Behind You: The next time you find yourself at a coffee or sandwich shop, double your bill for the person behind you. With such a surprise and an act of kindness, you are guaranteed to make that person’s day and even motivate them to pass on the sharing spirit!
- Clear Your Schedule for Someone Special: This may be a parent, spouse, child, close friend, or even a mentor. Regardless of the relationship, find a day to completely clear your schedule on someone else’s behalf. Bring them their favorite food, dessert, or movie, plan a fun night in or out, or even take them to a festive spot in town. Whatever it may be, there is no better way to express gratitude than to show someone that they’re your priority through quality time.
- Volunteer: There are an endless number of ways to volunteer in every community, no matter where you live or who you are. Find a local food pantry, toy-wrapping event, charity, or any other volunteer opportunity that piques your interest. In the next month, dedicate a day or afternoon’s worth of time to spend giving back to those in need.
- Leave an Extra Tip: Especially in places where the bill doesn’t run too high, leave a tip higher than you regularly would! We can guarantee you that your extra note of gratitude will go far.
- Give Someone an Extra Compliment: About their work, their personality, their appearance, or anything you admire!
- Schedule a Day for You! Self-indulge
- Buy Someone Flowers or Chocolates
Finally, and especially for those college and post-grad students returning home for a hearty Thanksgiving meal, offer your help! Whether this is to your parent, sibling, grandparent, aunt, uncle, cousin, or whoever is preparing for the big day, offering to provide help so that they aren’t doing the heavy lifting alone is the perfect way to display that you’re grateful for their hard work. No matter if you had a cozy night in or spent tonight downtown, get yourself up and out of bed tomorrow morning so that you can fully participate and contribute to the Thanksgiving celebration.
Searching for a new position? Read through our open jobs list!