As September means that summer is coming to a close, many of us might be wondering where the time went this summer. I know I am! Although for some that may mean getting back into the swing of school and others may be counting down the days until Halloween festivities, September is a great time to reflect on summer.
- Make time to get outside. The summer months are spent beneath the sun but don’t let the end of summer mean the end of venturing outside. There is sufficient research to show that not enough vitamin D can lead to depression-like symptoms. So, make it a point to take a nice daily walk or eat lunch outside with friends to soak up the sun (with sunscreen of course).
- Make a bucket list of things you’re most excited about in the coming months. Ready to leave summer behind? Summer is not for everyone. The heat, bugs, and lack of routine might have you excited for pumpkin spice lattes and a Halloween movie marathon. If this sounds like you, make a bucket list of things you are looking forward to. Even if you LOVE summer, to get excited for September and the new things to come, a bucket list can help. Setting goals and creating bucket lists help focus our attention, articulate what we want to explore and turn those ideas into a reality.
- Set aside time for a personal reflection. Whether this is through journaling, meditation, or time alone with your thoughts, think about some of these questions:
- What was your favorite thing about summer?
- What was the best thing that you experienced this summer?
- If you could go back and do summer over, what would you change?
- What did you learn about yourself this summer?
- How was this summer different from past summers?
- What lessons or takeaways would you like to carry with you into the fall?
- Create a routine. Creating a new routine can be just the fresh start that you need to kickstart the new season. Get organized and prioritize what needs to be done in September. You can almost think of September as the new January!
Searching for a new position? Check out our open jobs list!