What is it? How do you do it? “Me” Time has quickly become some of my favorite parts of the day, and here’s why. It is so important to carve out time in your day for YOU, whether this is to simply accomplish errands, get work done in the “zone,” listen to a podcast, exercise, do crafts, or more, it is crucial that you put special attention towards prioritizing yourself with pockets oof time just for you. Keep reading to find out what “Me” Time is and how you can engage and curate your own…
What is “Me Time”?
When we refer to “me time”, we are encouraging you to actively disengage from work, obligations, errands, or other items on your “to-do” list at a blocked off hour of the day. Now, don’t think that means completely ignoring any extra obligations that do not fit into the daily schedule, but it is super vital to set a boundary for yourself that separates your personal time and your professional time. For example, if you work from 9 am – 5 pm, set a boundary for when you will “unplug” from work, whether it is at 5 pm or at 9 pm. By setting a cut off for yourself, you will no longer feel the guilted obligation to continue to check your work email or any notifications past that time, and until your next day at work begins. Remember, you are expected to work 9-5 for a reason; working 24 hours around the clock will pile on the stress and tire you out! Setting a boundary for yourself and being 100 percent present during the time before it hits will help you stay more productive, focused, and motivated.
What to do During “Me Time”?
There is pretty much an unlimited number of things to do to fill your “me time.” This is the most personal, customizable component of your schedule, so make this time all about you! If you need some ideas as to how to fill this time, don’t stress, we have a bunch ready for you!
- Write in a journal – doing so will help you relieve emotional stress, log any thoughts or ideas of the day, and ultimately allow you to keep an active log of your day-to-day life.
- Exercise – Exercising is the ultimate way to relieve stress at a rapid pace. There are countless ways to exercise – whether walking, running, lifting weights, trying out new classes, cycling, practicing yoga, or swimming. Find the option that is most enjoyable for you, and try to incorporate it into your day at least 3 days a week.
- Pursue a hobby – Ever thought of something that sounded fun but you can’t seem to find the time to try? Do it! Some super fun, easy-to-try activities are cooking or art classes.
- Meditation or mindfulness – If you are interested in meditation, practice before bed or when you wake up. There are many meditation applications, websites, or even CD’s that will guide you.
- Listen to music or podcasts.
- Read a book.
- Book a massage or spa day.
- Get a manicure or pedicure.
- Spend time with friends or family.
- Go see a new movie or play.
- Try a new restaurant.
- Try a new recipe.
- Take yourself to lunch, dinner, or dessert.
- Track down a new nature path.
We hope these ideas have fueled your desire to reward yourself for all of your hard work! Always remember, you deserve it!
Looking for a new job? Check out our open jobs list!