https://esquire-recruiting.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/pexels-mart-production-7644080-scaled.jpg 2560 1707 Esquire Recruiting https://esquire-recruiting.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/esquire-recruiting-logo-color-300x101.png Esquire Recruiting2022-04-25 18:20:312022-04-25 18:20:31Returning to In-person Work: First Day Tips!
Returning to In-person Work: First Day Tips!
Welcome back, everyone! Today, we’re here to discuss a topic that may be affecting quite a few of our followers…returning to the office! Is your company heading back to in-person work? Not sure what to expect? Haven’t yet met your team or seen your office firsthand? Keep reading to find out what to expect and how to optimize your first impression!
Nailing Your First In-Person Day…
- Dress: Make sure that your clothing is aligned with the “vibe” of the office and dress expectations! Especially during your first few days, we encourage you to lean closer to formal and professional dress – once you secure your understanding of how your team and management dress, feel free to reassess your wardrobe and approach, but “overdressing” in the office is always better than the opposite! Remember, these are the types of questions that your leaders can absolutely expect from you and that you can always ask as you transition to a completely new way of work!
- Tone: The tone you exhibit is a key component of your first impression, so make sure to express enthusiasm, excitement, and confidence! On a separate note, make sure that the tone you use when speaking about yourself and your own accomplishments helps you appear prideful, but still humble. This also applies to all emails, Microsoft Teams messages, presentations, slides, and every piece of communication you put out to your colleagues!
- Warm Body Language: Of course, we have to acknowledge that, after sitting behind screens for a few years, it may feel unknown or unclear when approaching a colleague in person. However, we encourage you to not only base your actions on their lead, but if appropriate, offer a firm handshake, maintain eye contact, greet with a smile, and be mindful of the way you say hello.
- Extra tips: Focus on posture while sitting and minimize fidgeting or other subconscious habits!
- Greetings: Remembering specific names of employees who will be managing and training you from the interview process and greeting them in a genuine manner will showcase your motivation and respect for the role (this also applies to teammates you may be meeting for the first time)!
- Extra Tip: Jotting down names and contact info. for future coffee chats and conversations is a super smart strategy during any interview or first few days on the job as you become acclimated to the office and space.
- Punctuality: As we’ve said in the past… if you’re on time, consider yourself late! Always arrive early on your first day back in the office, especially when you are navigating a new building or space for the first time. Not only will this showcase respect, but it will allow time for you to collect yourself, organize your belongings, and mentally prepare for a few extra minutes.
Searching for a new position? Read through our open jobs list!