There are clear pros and cons to accepting temporary positions. Today, we’re here to inform you about the most important benefits to help guide your decision if this is the correct move for you. Keep reading to find them out here!
- Mental Boost: If you’ve been out of a job for a while, we can sympathize with the consequential effects on your self-esteem. Being able to return to work, even if only temporarily, is guaranteed to revamp your self-purpose and give you something to do each day. This doesn’t mean you can’t keep searching for full-time positions on the side, but it will keep you occupied in the meantime.
- Try Something New: In many instances, temporary positions may not align with the career path you’ve followed up until that given point. However, immersing yourself in a new environment with different responsibilities may help you identify other interests and pursuits.
- Chance of Permanent Commitment: Remember, temporary positions do have the ability to become permanent! The time frame by itself should not be the sole reason for declining an opportunity, as you never know when a few months could turn into years.
- Networking Perks: Building your contact list is a fantastic benefit of working for an organization for a temporary period. Down the line, this may be a company you pursue a full-time position with, and utilizing past experience and relationships you’ve developed will help you get a foot-in-the-door and extra advantage against other candidates.
- Source of Income: Bottom line, this position will provide you with some sort of salary, where not having a job would not provide one at all. Any money is helpful money!
- Resume: Working in a temporary job will help you to avoid time gaps in your resume which will be up for discussion when interacting with future hiring managers or recruiters. If you are able to explain your temporary position and transition between jobs, a recruiter will likely recognize your commitment to maintaining employment.
- Sample New Industries: In relation to the ability a temporary position may provide in trying new subindustries within your field, this may also offer you an opportunity to sample out a completely different industry! Not only will you build your network in a completely different field, but you may become introduced to a new skill and set of responsibilities that you find more engaging than the ones you’ve held in the past.
In reading these pros, we hope you are able to understand the importance of keeping an open mind when offered a temporary opportunity. While this may not be the right decision for you at one point in time, there may very likely be a time in your career where this is the right step forward. If you have any additional questions about this type of work, send an email over to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Searching for a new position? Read through our open jobs list!
If you’re looking to learn about the exact way to effectively negotiate job offers read our article here!