Hello everyone! Welcome back to the blog, today we’re here to help those of you (like myself) whose responsibilities have partially cleared up in the last few weeks. If you’re between coursework, internship start dates, seeking new hobbies, or otherwise looking to fill the day when there aren’t any requirements on the schedule, this article is for you. Keep reading to find out our favorite ways to fill the day here!
Hobbies and Activities…
- Exercise: First and foremost, we encourage you to take advantage of the opportunity to move your body, maintain a healthy lifestyle, and get into exercise! Whether this looks like weight-lifting, cardio, yoga, or any other type of workout, every step counts. Incorporating exercise into your routine 2-3 times a week (or otherwise specified by your doctor) is a great way to set yourself up for future success, create self-accountability, and fill up the day.
- Walking: While exercising or physically going to the gym can be intimidating for first-timers or those interested in immersing in fitness, walking is a fantastic medium to get your body moving, stay healthy, and still get a great workout in. Even just 20 minutes around the block will help you build up stamina each day to increase your endurance more and more.
- Hiking, Biking, Spending time Outdoors: Piggybacking off of the walking idea, any activity outdoors is an amazing way to get yourself out of the house, incorporate physical workouts and health, and get to see the city you live in! Especially those of you who are situated in a warm, green climate with opportunities to take advantage of, look through your community’s resources to see how you can take advantage of nearby trails, outdoor activities, and more.
- Meditating and Mindfulness: If you’re looking for a filler throughout the workday, a short activity, or a way to start your morning, we highly encourage you to investigate mindfulness or meditation activities. These can span as short as a few minutes and as long as you see fit, and are an amazing measure of feeling grounded before embarking on the day and gathering your thoughts in a meaningful, succinct way.
- Crafting: Another way to clear your headspace and create inner peace is by crafting! Pick up that paintbrush, purchase that sketchbook, sign up for a class, and find your groove. Crafting can take on an endless quantity and variety of forms, so finding what works for you can be an amazing adventure and a way to step outside of your comfort zone.
- Cooking: One of my favorite ways to spend the day is by trying out new recipes and cooking new things in the kitchen! This is a great way to connect with family, friends, and roommates, and to build a new skill.
- Reaching out and Reconnecting: Finally, we encourage you to take advantage of free time to reconnect with people you may have fallen out of touch with! Whether this is a phone call, email, quick text, or any other form of communication, you will be amazed how amazing it feels to build and maintain connections with friends, peers, family and more.
Searching for a new position? Check out our open jobs list!