In the past, we’ve shown you our top 7 reasons why we think it is valuable to accept a temporary job offer. Today, we’re here to explain and introduce some components to be cautious of before you enter into this new role. Keep reading, and by the end of this article, we hope you can effectively weigh the pros and cons of these types of offers to see what fits best for you!
Haven’t read our first article? Check out this link to explore our Top 7 Reasons Why We Think Candidates Should Accept Temporary Positions!
Now, here are a few aspects to be aware of . . .
- Remembering it’s Temporary: Unfortunately, we understand that it is easy to become attached to a new company or position pretty quickly. Maintaining awareness and contentment with leaving this position after a certain period of time may be hard to do. Although temporary positions in some cases may become permanent, this does not always occur.
- Training: Temporary commitments still require equivalent levels of training in order for you to be able to complete your responsibilities efficiently. However, as time is not as readily available, it may appear to be difficult to obtain adequate training before being let on your own. If this is something that concerns you, make sure to discuss your future employer’s training policies before accepting the position.
- Developing Relationships: One of the greatest tools in relationship building is time. However, as temporary positions usually do not last for long periods of time as do permanent roles, it becomes more difficult to develop relationships with coworkers, supervisors, and company leaders. If you are someone looking to develop long term business relationships, cultivate a mentorship, or dive into the social aspect of work, a temporary position may not allow you to do so as easily.
- Decrease in Benefits and Wages: Benefits and wage rates may not be offered in the same quantity or level. Be aware of this as you read through your contract!
- Compatibility with Previous Job Roles: As you hunt for a temporary position, you may find it difficult to discover roles that are completely compatible with your past experiences and desired responsibilities. It is important to understand the value of being open-minded when researching these positions, as you may end up accepting a position far different than what you were previously accustomed to. However, this could end up being a great benefit! Read our previous article to understand why.
It’s important to note that none of these aspects of temporary employment are detrimental to your satisfaction. However, it is crucial for you to be aware of all the pros and cons of a temporary job commitment before evaluating if this is the right step for you. At Esquire, we always encourage applicants to take advantage of new opportunities and try out different roles! A temporary offer may provide you the exact opportunity you need to experiment.
Searching for a new position? Check out our open jobs list!
Looking for ways to advance your career this year? Our latest article will show you exactly how to do so!